Growing Artichokes in Pots, Containers
Today, we get into details of growing Artichokes in pots/containers. How to grow artichokes in pots?. If you are enthusiastic to grow artichokes but are very much confused about the growing process which you have to follow, this article is for you. This article works as a tutorial which will give you a complete insight into growing artichokes in pots. A positive element about the plantation of artichokes is that they can be grown in an easy way in different environmental conditions.
There are several varieties of artichokes which you can choose. For example, you have an option to grow Big Heart, Omaha, Imperial start and Green Globe. A good thing is that the plantation of artichokes is worth your efforts.
The artichokes are very rich in the content of Vitamin C and you can get a fiber which can be added to your diet from artichokes. In the leaves of Artichokes, you can find Cynarin which is helpful in increasing the health of the liver. The main objective of this article is the introduction of the gardening basics to the beginners who are confused about the process. You can go through the process in detail.
Preparation of pots for growing artichokes:
- When you have pots, there is no need to plant the artichokes in the ground. The suitable size is a pot of 24-inches as this will give the plant enough space for growing. You can start growing the artichokes which are at a length of 5 feet and a width of 6 feet in the pots. Each and every plant will be able to grow at least 30 artichokes all across the year.
- For growing artichokes, you will need to choose for organic soil as the artichokes will need fertile and rich soil which is organic. Additionally, you will require to select the soil which has natural nutrients. It is also important that you will need to choose the soil which is draining. That means it should have a rich texture so that whenever you are watering the soil, it will go through in a simple way with much ease.
- Anyways, this soil should not cling on to the roots as this may even cause death to the roots. When you are able to get hold of the soil, ensure that it has some kind of ingredient which can restore the moisture in the ground. Always choose the soil which has the extract of yucca in it as it is the thing which has the ability if drawing moisture.
- You can purchase an artichoke plant which is of 2 months of age. You can make use of the plant which is been grown from the seed or the one which is cultivated as the division. The artichoke plant needs to have roots which are tender and which covers the area of the roots.
- You will need to get a hold of tomato vegetable food and it should have a perfect mixture of nitrogen. Moreover, this tomato vegetable food should have the perfect content of potassium as well which is required for your artichoke plants for growing.
Steps for growing Artichokes in pots:
Read: How to Grow Ginger Indoors.
- First, you will need to take a big pot of 24-inches and completely fill it potting soil which is organic.
- The plant has to be kept in the pot which is having the soil. The baby plant has to be kept at the same height in the pot as it was in the previous pot. The roots of the plant should be submerged into the soil completely and only the plant leaves have to keep above the level of the soil.
- After this, you will need to start watering the artichoke plant. On a daily basis, you will need to touch the soil with your finger to check if it will require any moisture or not. If you feel that the soil is dry, then you should start watering the plants. Always keep in mind that the artichoke plant which is in the pot will dry out more rapidly when compared to the plant which is grown in the ground. You will be required to be very careful about this particular aspect mainly if the climatic conditions are hot.
- Your daily routine should be in such a way that you will need to water the artichokes one time in a week. Anyways, the artichokes should not be standing in water. Additionally, if you see that the water is less, then even in such cases, there is a chance that the buds will have bad taste.
- When your plant reaches the age of one month, then you will need to add vegetable food. The main reason is that the artichokes will need a heavy feed. Now when you are done with planting in the spring, you can wait for the first harvest after six months in the early fall.
- If you are residing in a climate which is cool and you are planting the artichokes at the time of spring, then you will need to give a time of complete summer for the plant for growing. You can wait for the harvest of artichokes at the time of fall.
- Now, the artichoke plant will be big and you will need to start thinking about the lines of cutting 6 inches. You will have to add some amount of mulch. Moreover, you have to start covering the plant mainly if you are growing the artichoke in an area which has snow. You will have to keep the pot in the garage if you are planting the artichokes in the winter season. It will get its share of warmness and will have the ability to grow with ease.
- Once the season of spring arrives, you will have to bring the plant to sunlight and ensure that you are drying it out. The artichoke plant has to be placed under the sun. Always remember to water the plant along with fertilizing it.
Harvesting the artichoke plant:
You will need to check the artichoke plant regular basis daily. Whenever you start seeing the flower buds appearing, then it would be the best time for the harvest. The buds have to be picked up prior to the opening of petals. If you have waited for so long, then there is a chance that the buds become fibrous and also stringy. If you have taken a decision to make use of the artichoke seeds, then ensure that the seeds are at the top of the amended soil. The plants have to be placed at least at a distance of 4 feet from each other. After about thirty days, it is always suggested to make use of liquid fertilizer.
Make sure that there are no weeds in the beds of artichoke. As said above, you will require mulch in the initial stages. Anyways, when you see the buds appearing, you will need to ensure that you are removing the mulch. Here, you will have to use the compost which forms a thick layer of 4-inches surrounding the plant.
There are few instructions which you have to follow for the purpose of harvesting. The buds need to be harvested whenever they are tight and also firm. When you are done with the harvest of all the buds present on the stem, then the stem has to be cut to the ground.
That’s all about growing artichokes in pots or containers. Keep gardening!.
Read: NFT FARMING in India.