Introduction: Hello gardeners today we are here to discuss Vastu for Planting Trees at Home. Planting trees as per Vastu principles can significantly alter your mood, while also ensuring your health. Vastu believes that house plants help to maintain the flow and balance of energy in a household. They can affect the health, prosperity, and fortune of the inhabitants.
A step by step guide to Vastu principles for planting trees at home
Direction for the garden
Constructing a garden is one of the main tasks which require utmost care and thought. According to the principles stated in Vastu Shastra, gardens, lawns, and decorative plants must be planted in the east or north direction. If a person plans to install a waterfall, then the correct direction of the fall is on the east or north direction, three to four feet above the ground and avoid north-east and north-west corners.
No garden is complete without plants. There can be a huge variety of trees obtainable in the market. But, when it comes to planting trees that bear fruit, the east direction is helpful and for a beautiful yet small rock garden with unique rocks and statues, the south-west corner of the garden is the best.
Location of the garden according to Vastu
According to Vastu Shastra, each part of a garden resembles one of the five elements of Paanch Maha Boota. The south-west section of the house represents earth, the north-east accounts for water; the south-east represents fire or home to disease-free plants, while the north-west represents air. The center mainly represents space. A home garden in the south-east or south-west causes tension.
If the garden is located out in front, a massive tree must never block its entrance. A tree can be planted alongside the wall of the home garden. Planting a peepal, mango, neem or banana tree is ideal from a Vastu point of view. These trees are not only identified for their fragrance but for the positive vibes they give out.
You should not miss the Preparing Soil for Vegetable Garden.
Some Vastu rules follow when placing indoor plants
- Basil, Money Plant, Lemon, Lily, Lotus, and Jasmine are popular indoor plants that are believed to activate positive energies and bring good luck.
- Ensure that flower pots or decorative plants are not hung before windows as they can block light, air, and positive energies from entering the house. Plants place them on the ground instead, preferably in the north, the east or the north-east direction.
- Several indoor plants are believed to bring prosperity and good luck including money plants. Money plants are renowned to bring wealth and abundance to the home. Money plants are beneficial from all aspects according to Feng Shui and Vastu.
- Thorny plants, except rose, are the main sources of negative energies. Plants that generate milk-like substance when cut must be avoided as they can affect the health of your family.
- The presence of big plants near the house entrance can obstruct the flow of positive energies.
- Always keep fresh flowers and plants in the home garden. Do not keep dried flowers or dying plants they can catch negative energies.
Basic Vastu principles for planting trees at home
Vastu prescribes certain guidelines for trees in a home garden and its practitioners believe these principles bring good luck to the residents. Some of the Vastu principles for planting trees are given below;
- Fruit-bearing trees must be planted to the east of a garden.
- Plant tall trees in the southwest side of your house and this is believed to bring stability and progress.
- If there is a religious place right in front of the house, plant a row of trees in front. A tree with two branches opposite the house is not good.
- The number of trees planted in a house must be even like 2, 4, 6, etc.
- A money plant in the home garden is believed to bring wealth and good luck.
- A dead tree or one with no leaves is not good for in front of the house.
- Avoid planting banana, papaya, mango, pineapple, and lemon trees in the east or the north directions.
- Coconut and lemon trees can be planted to the south or the west direction of a garden.
- Smaller shrubs can be planted on the East or North sides, but no trees should be planted in the North-East corner as they block the useful morning sun rays.
- Tall trees must be planted in the west, south and south-west sections of the garden. A sizeable distance must be maintained between the main house and the trees; their shadow should not fall on the building between 9 am and 3 pm, as per Vastu Shastra.
- Large trees should not be planted too close to the house as their roots can damage the foundation of the house. And, the large trees absorb most of the sunlight, meaning these positive rays will not be received by the building. The trees that attract insects, worms, honey bees or serpents must be avoided in the garden.
- Some trees that can be planted in a house compound are useful that are coconut, neem, betel, sandalwood, lemon, pineapple, almond, jackfruit, pomegranate, and mango.
Directions wise planting the trees at home as per Vastu
- Big and tall trees are to be grown in the south, west or southwest direction since that direction represents earth and big trees want that their roots were firmly planted to the ground.
- Fruit-bearing trees are to be planted in the east direction and creepers are to be grown in the exteriors.
- Tulsi is to be good to grow in the north, east or northeast direction and small flowering plants are to be grown in the southwest direction.
- Small shrubs are best grown in the north and east direction.
The following are certain rules and regulations based on the direction while maintaining a garden or decorating your home with plants.
You may also like the Getting Rid of Ants in Vegetable Garden.
According to Vastu Shastra, a home garden in the North direction is highly auspicious with the Tulsi plant in the center. All the plants inside the home limits must not have thorns, except in the case of Rose. A water fountain near the home garden is advised. Only small plants or shrubs should be planted in the North direction. This corner should not have huge trees and rocks painting with rocks must be avoided.
If there’s no space in the North direction, then this direction can be considered for kitchen gardening. It is advised that fruit-bearing plants are plotted in this direction. Plants that represent a family’s prosperity and wealth should be avoided in this direction like Tulsi and Money plant.
If there’s ample space in the West direction of the house then utilize this space for planting large trees like mango, orange, banana, etc. But, these trees should be at a distance from the home. This direction should be decorated with big rocks, ornamental statues or scriptures, etc.
This direction is advised against for gardening as per Vastu Shastra, as there must not be a flowing water source in this area. This space must be left open or decorate the area with hanging baskets with plants, like money plants; as you need to water they once in a day or two and it won’t require the flow of water.
Important tips to improve your home Vastu, while planting trees
The following tips to improve your home Vastu while planting flowers and plants;
- Flower pots must not be kept on the east, north or northeast wall of the building.
- The trees which bear fruits must be planted in the east direction of the garden.
- Tall trees must be planted in the southwest direction and it will give stability and progress.
- Champak, Mogra, and Parijat must not be planted in southwest, northwest or east directions.
- The coconut tree brings good luck and it is good to plant it in the garden.
- Mango, lemon, banana and papaya trees must not be planted in the east or north direction.
- Coconut and lemon trees must be planted in the south or west direction of the garden.
- Do not cut garden trees in the month of Bhadrapad of Magh.
- Trees in the North, East and North-East directions of the house must not be taller than the height of the house.
- If the shadow of a tree falls on the house in the first or last quarter of the day it will prove helpful to those living in that house. Though, if the shadow of a tree falls on the house continuously for 8 to 12 hours it will be troublesome for the inmates of the house.
- A tree in the middle of the main door or gate of the house is not auspicious.
- Bonsai plants must not be kept inside the house and they can harm the owner and his children.
- As far as possible cotton, tamarind, Imli and gum plants must not be planted in the house.
- Peepal tree must not be damaged or cut. Though if due to unavoidable circumstances it is required to cut, do it only after prayers and offering of rice and curd.
You may also check the Growing Mint Hydroponically.
Selecting the plants for your home according to Vastu principles
Holy Basil Plant
Holy Basil is also called as ‘Tulsi’. It is a plant that is highly revered and auspicious. It must be kept in the North, East or North-East direction.
Lucky Bamboo Plant
Lucky Bamboo (Dracaena braunii) plant is an indicator of luck and peace. This plant brings fame and wealth. Remember that this is not the common bamboo plant. However, the dwarf potted bamboo (Bonsai) must be avoided as it goes against nature. Yellow-colored bark must be preferred over dark-colored ones.
The money plant (Epipremnum aureum) must be placed in either the North or the East direction. It is considered lucky and there is a belief that money plant leads to the growth in the wealth as well as income.
Coconut and Ashoka Tree
Coconut (Cocos nucifera) and Ashoka trees (Saraca Indica) should be placed in the garden or courtyard of the house. It is believed that the Ashoka tree helps remove suffering and brings joy.
Flower pots should not be placed on the compound wall in the North, East or North-East directions as they will block the useful morning sunlight coming in from these directions. Flower pots and decorative plants can be placed on the ground in these directions, but they should not produce taller than 3 feet.
The round leaves of the rubber plant are the main symbols of wealth and financial growth in Vastu. They can bring you a lot of commercial success and money when placed in the correct zone of the house. They absorb a lot of toxins in the air of your indoors and act as a natural air purifier.
Banana tree (Musa genus) must be there in the North-East direction of the house. It signifies excellent health and mental peace. A banana tree is considered sacred and is even worshiped. On Thursdays, some people worship banana trees along with praying to Lord ‘Vishnu’.
The presence of the Neem tree (Azadirachta indica) in a home generates positivity and Neem also has medicinal properties. It is considered auspicious as per Vastu principles. Neem tree must be placed in the North-West corner. Air flowing from it should pass through windows of Master Bedroom which is quite helpful health-wise.
Peony (Paeonia suffruticosa) or paeony is a beautiful, colorful flower. Peony stands for the spring season as well as optimism. It is all together with rich, very attractive and delicate. Due to these qualities, it is a symbol of feminism and used as a metaphor for female beauty and reproduction. It is red and because the color red is associated with religious and divine rituals in India and is considered an auspicious flower. People who wish to find their true love should plant peonies in the South-West region of their garden or decorate the South-West region of their home garden with peonies.
Most branches of the mango tree have medicinal value. Its leaves are mainly used as a pesticide, and its twigs are used for brushing teeth. Mango tree leaves are used for puja purposes. It is considered auspicious if the dead are cremated using mango tree fire-wood.
Citrus (Citrus medica) is also known as the Buddha’s hand, the finger-shaped Citron symbolizes luck and happiness. It is called the Buddha’s hand because the upturned petals of the Citron are reminiscent of the upturned fingers of the Buddha’s meditative position.
Sandalwood is expensive as it is used to make exquisite handicrafts, and its oil is very fragrant. Sandalwood paste when applied on the forehead which cools the head. The sandalwood is used to make incense sticks. It is rare to find sandalwood trees and hence there have been so many instances of robbers cutting down trees in the middle of the night if found in any house compound.
Plum Blossoms (Prunus mume) is symbolic to invite harmony and wealth in the home. This plant mainly helps to promote positive energy in the environment. The Plumtree blossoms are best placed in the North-East or Northern direction of the house. If one wishes to plant it in the home garden, it can be planted anywhere.
Dwarf Jade Plant
Dwarf Jade (Portulacaria Afra) plant emanates positive energy. It is mainly considered lucky because it has five leaves symbolic of five elements of nature (‘Panch Mahabhootas’). It is good for placed in North or Eastern directions.
That’s all folks about Vastu for Planting Trees at Home, keep gardening!. You may be interested in Multi-layer Farming Process and Benefits.