Spring gardening tips
Today, we will discuss the spring gardening tips, ideas, techniques. Spring is the time which you step back into your garden after a harsh and long winter. This would be happy for you, but it is also a kind of relief. Though there is still some sort of winter chill in the environment, there are lots of tasks for you to take care now if you want to get your garden back to its shape before the temperature starts increasing.
Many successful gardeners believe that gardening should always keep adding joy to our lives and not stress. So, in this article, we would like to discuss a few tasks to get habituated to your outdoor space. This can be taken care of one after the other as you have much time. Spring is a wonderful season where you get time for the assessment of the damage which is caused during the winter season, fix the tools, fill all the holes present in the garden’s landscape, perform required pruning, prepare new beds, start planting from bare-root or grow the plants in containers, feed, start composting, be friendly with the birds, adding a mulch layer and tuning up your drip system.
It seems like you will need to do a lot of things, but if you once go through the list and check all the things one after the other, your neighbors will start envying your garden and it will become your most favorite place to have some leisure time. Always remember that, if you walk or dig the soil which is completely frozen, then it will compact it and the roots of the plant will require soil in order to survive best. Hence, if the ground is very hard or completely saturated with water, you will need to wait patiently. Below are a few spring gardening ideas and spring garden basics to be learned. If you are going to start any gardening in spring, you must read this spring gardening tips.
Read: Ideas for Summer Gardening.
Spring gardening tips:
- The first thing you will need to do is to assess the trees. Make a note of the limbs of the trees which have to be cut, mainly the ones which overhang structures. You can also hire an arborist for maintenance only if you have large trees. After that, you will need to assess the trees which are of mid-level. You will need to remove the perennial foliage of the previous year and convert it completely into a pile of compost. Then, you will need to assess the trees which are at the ground level. Remove the mulch by using a rake from the beds which are planted along with bulbs prior to the appearance of foliage and make sure that you are refreshing the mulch in others areas of planning after the soil becomes warm. At last, you will need to give a last glance on the entire garden by checking the steps, fences, and pathways if there is anything to repair which has occurred due to thawing and freezing.
- Make sure that you are tuning up all the tools of gardening. If you did not store the tools of gardening in a proper way at the time of winter, you will need to give your gardening tools some sort of attention to make sure that their shape is good when the time has arrived to work. Bypass pruners will be of great advantage when sharpened. Handles made of wood will be advantageous when you clean, sand and massage them by making use of linseed oil. Do remember to make a note of missing things and get tools for the coming season of growing.
- Select new varieties of plants for the sections of the garden which do not have any plants. You can go with perennials, shrubs, and trees for the plantation at the time of spring. People will most won’t realize that the nurseries would be happy to bring special types of plants which they mostly do not have in stock.
- If you have grass in your garden, spring is the most essential time to divert your attention towards your turf. Make sure that you are servicing your leaf blower and mower. If you have any other perfect tools to sharpen the blades of the mower, you can do it by yourself. Now your mower can be refilled with oil and do the installation of new spark plugs. Make sure that you are lubricating the moving parts of the tools if required. Now clean the garden from the remains of the winter and start looking for the areas which require reseeding prior to mowing.
Read: Neem Oil Pesticide Formula.
- The branches of the plants which are damaged, diseased and dead have to be removed. Trim the shrubs which are blooming in the summer like roses, hydrangea. Start pruning the wood which is damaged by cold after the plants started the growth in spring. Prune the shrubs which are growing in the spring and even the trees have to be pruned after flowering.
- It is completely possible for the creation of a new planting bed where there is no bed existing before. The most essential thing is to start digging the soil, adding more amount of oxygen and making the soil free of compaction and then adding certain amendments such as compost which will immediately create the soil which is living and also rich. The area of planting has to be cleared as soon as the soil is worked by cutting the weeds and debris. You can spread compost for a layer of 5-inch and any kinds of amendments on the soil and then start cultivating it to a depth of 12 inches with a fork. Rake it completely smooth before you start the plantation.
- Though it looks somewhat frightening, plantation from the bare-root will take complete advantage of the best time of planting for several plants which include roses, fruit trees, daylilies, hostas. Bare-root planting means that the plants will come to you alive but not with growing which is active i.e., they won’t be coming in a container which is filled You will need to select a cloudy and cool day to perform these tasks.
- You can start the transplantation of the plants which are grown in containers during any time of the growing season except at the time of midsummer. Always make sure that you are watering them in a thorough manner after and before they go into the ground. The crops which grow in the early stages of spring will consist of cool-season flowers such as poppies, sweet peas, and vegetables like spinach, lettuce, and parsley.
- Your garden starts to wake up and will love to have some amount of fuel. For this, you can start applying a fertilizer which is balanced or fish emulsion surrounding the shrubs and trees whenever you see the new growth. You can spread the fertilizer which has high acid and pine-needle mulch around the plants which love acid like camellias, citrus, blueberries. Start fertilizing the perennials when the plants start growing actively.
- Start a pile of compost or make use of the compost bin if you are not having one already. Start by collecting the debris of the plants and leaves which are raked up from your garden. You will need to find the same amounts of materials which are rich in carbon like straw, dried leaves and the materials which are rich in nitrogen like weeds and grass clippings. You will need to cut these first to fasten the process of decomposition. There are two important approaches to the composting to be done in the backyard. A hot pile will be built all at a time with greens and browns as alternate layers. It is turned on a regular basis and will provide a result within a few months. On the other hand, a cold pile has to be added on a regular basis and should not be turned. The compost which is finished will take a longer time for formation and is generally removed from the bottom of the pile.
- If you have already created a spot to welcome birds, it is a great time to refresh your feeders. The feeders have to be disinfected by cleaning them making use of the scrub with a bleach solution which is weak. Wash and dry the feeders in a thorough manner before you refill them again, The bird baths have to be scrubbed by making use of the solution of bleach, after that you can wash them and again refill. The bord baths and feeders have to be cleaned for the entire season. If you are a beginner in taking care of the bird life, you can even fill the plant saucer with water to welcome new birds into your garden.
- The simplest thing to do is to give your garden a layer of mulch which is fresh. A thick layer of several inches of your favorite mulch like straw finished compost, wood chips will give a clean look. At the same time, it will also help in suppressing the weeds and restoring the moisture.
That’s all folks about Spring Gardening Tips.