Introduction: Hello friends today we learn about how to build a fence for your garden. A fence is a practical approach to protect your garden from critters and set it apart from the rest of your backyard. But garden fences can pretty up your flower bed or vegetable garden. Fencing is measured in mesh, which can vary from one type of fence to another and a mesh is a semi-permeable barrier of metal fibers. Meshes are normally used to screen out unwanted things, like rabbits, rats, and deer.
A step by step guide to how to build a fence for your garden
Fencing in a garden may be helpful to keep out animals, to protect a garden from vandalism, to define garden boundaries or just to help organize a garden area. However, fencing can be expensive, and the purpose and design must be considered carefully to avoid wasting money. What are we waiting for? Let’s get in to the detailes of how to build a fence for your garden.
Different types of fense
Wire fence – A wire fence can be installed quite quickly, and one of the lowest-cost and easiest-to-maintain fence types.
Overlap fencing – Overlap fencing is made from overlapping horizontal timber boards. It is a cheaper fence that offers high levels of privacy.
Picket fencing – Picket fencing is a stylish way to break up your garden or provide low borders whilst maintaining the view from your garden.
Chain-link fencing – Chain-link fencing is an economical method to enclose an area, restrict pests or keep unwanted creatures out. Chain-link fencing is made of galvanized steel and comes in rolls from 25 to 100 feet long and 4 to 6 feet high, with prefabricated gates up to 5 feet wide. Vinyl-coated chain-link fencing is also available.
You should not miss the How to Grow Hydroponic Corn.
Baskets of stones – Using metal baskets filled with stones or bark is an increasingly popular process for making garden separations. It’s simple to make this kind of fence yourself, but a strong foundation is essential if you intend to fill the baskets with stones.
Fence with a hedge – It’s simple to install a natural hedge, although it wants to be pruned regularly. These plants and shrubs create an idea hedge, for example, ivy on wire mesh, conifers, Buxus, beech and pine. Though it offers less protection against unwanted visitors than other types of fence.
Wood screens – Wood is a natural material in a garden environment, and well suited for making fences. You can select from different kinds of wood; from European wood to exotic grades. The cost and the installation method depend mostly on the desired height and construction of the fence.
Close board fencing – Close board is made up of overlapping vertical boards of timber and this is the strongest and heaviest panel. It gives you complete privacy and it is ideal for boundary fencing.
Welded wire fencing – Welded wire fencing is perfect for keeping larger animals out of gardens or certain areas of the landscape. With a heavier wire gauge and this fence is strong and durable. Like chain-link fencing, it’s available with a vinyl coating, usually green or brown. When combined with rail fencing, the welded wire provides a reinforced pet containment area. This material will come in a 14-gauge wire mesh 2-inch-by-4-inch, 36-inch, 48-inch, or 60-inch widths.
A wide range of fence materials is obtainable. Depending on the garden, the purpose of the fence and budget, community volunteers can build a strong and durable fence.
Plastic fences – Plastic fences tend to be light and flimsy, but the least expensive. When properly supported, plastic can be a cost-effective method to keep animals out. Some creative construction, a plastic fence can even be made to look very attractive.
Metal – Metal (wire) is a good material for fences as it will last for a long time. Wire fences are either welded or woven in some method to hold them together. The thickness of the metal is known as gauge; the lower the gauge number, the thicker and stronger the wire. Wire fence material is often galvanized to increase the life expectancy and fencing treated after manufacturing will last even longer.
Wood – Wood can be mainly used for posts, fence panels or both. Wood fencing normally costs more than wire but is considered more attractive to some people. There are several different styles of wood fences, from pickets to privacy panels. The height and spacing will likely be determined by the want to fence out animals. In some situations, wire fencing is attached to the lower portion of a wood fence to have the appearance of a wood fence and animal control of the wire.
Marking out the garden fence
Decide where you want to set the fence and make the ground surface as flat as possible. Measure out the length of the fence and where the center and end-posts want to be placed. Divide these into equal sections and the end-posts are placed at the ends of the horizontal planks, which have lengths of 4 meters. First, create an overall drawing, and then decide which materials you will need and of which lengths. Once you know where the garden fence will be placed, you can mark out the height of 1.80 meters.
Choosing the right posts
Decide if you want wooden or concrete posts. You also want to decide whether you want to set them in concrete or use post supports.
Concrete posts ensure you have a good strong fence, but they do want a fair bit of work to put up.
Wooden posts are simple to handle, but as they’re buried in the ground, there’s a slightly higher risk that they’ll rot.
Metal post supports to deal with some of these problems and they will help you put up a fence relatively quickly.
Tips to help position your fence posts
- Garden fence posts must be positioned no more than 6 feet apart. This distance ensures good holding power for the fence fabric. If you select to place the posts closer together, consider the fence fabric and the strength of the materials.
- Both light-duty and heavy-duty posts have tabs along the above-ground section, allowing you to attach the fence at multiple places on the post. If you wish to adjust these tabs, simply use a screwdriver or use a hammer to open or close the tabs.
- Light-duty posts could be used on the straight sections of the fence. Light-duty fence posts contain their spade positioned 12 inches above the bottom of the post, leaving 1 foot less than the total length obtainable aboveground for attachment.
- Heavy-duty posts must be placed at the corners of your fence. This gives added support to the anchor points. These posts have spade positioned 18 inches above the bottom of the post, leaving 1½ feet less than the total length available aboveground for attachment. This positioning of the spade wants the post to be driven to a greater depth and increases the stability of your fence. The chart below will help you find which posts work with which fencing.
You may also like How to Grow Green Chillies in Pots.
Process for build a fence for garden
The use of a garden fence is a necessary element to help keep out pests or for a decorative touch. The following steps will show how to fence a garden;
- Keep in mind it is important to leave enough place between the fence and the actual growing area to permit you to move around the plants.
- Measure the place that is to be fenced with a measuring tape, including the height you want the fence to be.
- Choose the material you plan to use as your garden fence. Several types of materials are available, such as wood, wire, and mesh. Dig post holes deep enough to bury half the pole. Add gravel to cover the bottom of the hole before setting the post and this will help with drainage.
- Dig holes spaced evenly around your garden for fence posts using a shovel or spade.
- Fill each hole with dirt or cement. When using dirt, make sure you always compress the dirt as you add it to the hole. And this makes for a solid, tight fit. If you select cement as your base, you will need to stabilize the post until the cement sets.
- Cut and attach the material you will be used to fence a garden using a hammer or mallet, nails, and wire cutters.
- Common materials used contain wood slats, chicken wire, vinyl netting or mesh. You can also select more decorative materials.
- Include an easy access gate or opening for you to enter your garden. A simple gate can be made by extending the length of the materials used about 1 foot (0.3 meters). Add some hooks onto the extension to connect the gate to the fence when you want it closed.
Fencing a sloping site
If your garden fence is on a sloping area, still keep the panels horizontal. Fill the angled gap under each panel by cutting a gravel board to fit it or building a low retaining wall directly under the garden fence. This will make your fence look ‘natural’ and level, particularly if it runs alongside your house, garage or an outbuilding.
Best way to fix fence posts
If you are installing fence posts then the deeper they are the better and if your panels are 6ft high then the posts should be 2ft underground and secured with concrete. It is important to surround the wooden posts with concrete to ensure they are not in contact with the wet soil. If possible put some stones or a small brick under the bottom of the post. It is also a good idea to ensure the concrete at the surface has been smoothed to ensure water does not pool around the post at ground level.
Incase if you miss this: Balcony Garden Design in India.
Advantages of the fence in the garden
A garden fence is a great way to add security to the yard and garden, as well as creating a bit more style in your yard. They can be used to portion off a section of your yard where you will not be bothered by neighbors and you can relax and enjoy the fruits and vegetables of your labor.
Security – Fencing improves security and it keeps the inside in and the outside out, preventing unwanted animals, unauthorized vehicles or people from accessing your land.
Divider – Fences are a perfect way to divide up a garden space. This can be around your home, workplace or land.
Decoration – You may wish to make a feature out of your fence, and provide privacy and security without sacrificing your garden’s aesthetics. This can be achieved easily with our great range of Decorative fence panels.
Beautification – These boundary markers will help in enhancing the beauty of your garden. You may paint these fences so that they go well with the house and blend well with the backyard. The charm of your garden landscape will be more magnified if you can install the proper fence.
That’s all folks about how to build a fence for your garden, don’t forget to secure your garden. You may be interested in Vermiwash Preparation Process and Benefits.