Introduction to growing hydroponic Devil’s Ivy, Pothos, and Money plant
The Money plant is one such low-maintenance plant and whose scientific name is Epipremnum Aureum. Minimal care is required for a healthy and prosperous Money plant. The Money plant is also known as golden pothos, silver vine, pothos, Solomon Islands ivy, and taro vine. It is also known as devil’s vine or devil’s ivy because it is almost impossible to kill and it stays green even when kept in the dark. In this article we also discussed the following topics;
- Hydroponic Money plant growing conditions
- Hydroponic Money plant nutrient requirements
- Hydroponic Money plant growing medium
- An optimal pH for Money plant growing hydroponically
A step by step guide to growing hydroponic Money plant
Money plant is a popular indoor plant that grows in almost any type of light and it’s easy to maintain, especially Pothos growing in a hydroponics system. Given the right conditions, it can be a vigorous grower that produces long, cascading vines that can reach 10 feet or more. With the hydroponics system, the plant’s roots absorb minerals directly from a nutrient solution without the soil getting in the way. Common techniques for hydroponic system growing are ebb and flow systems, nutrient film technique (NFT), and aeroponics. These methods need pumps, motors, and electricity, making them complicated and unsuitable in most cases. The hydroponics system doesn’t rely on the potting mix for any nutritional value.
Pothos plants are easy to grow from cuttings that are placed in water. They will grow like that even in a simple jar or a vase, as long as you provide them with some nutrients and a sufficient amount of sunlight. Keep in mind that Money plants are hardy and can survive in many different conditions. It is very important to remember that almost any container will do, as long as it can hold water.
When the Money plant is grown in water
Many people prefer to grow Money plants in just a bottle of water and then keep it near the window which climbs up the window beautifully. In such cases, the Money plant care instructions can be different. One must keep at least one node below the water level for proper plant growth. One can also fold the branch inside the water so that more nodes can be included in water to promote plant roots at all nodes. The Money plant container should be kept near sunlight which promotes growth. The water should be changed every week without fail. To maintain the water level, frequently water should be added. And when the plant is grown in water, there is no need for adding fertilizers. Taking care of Money plants is easy and the Money plants prosper with shining leaves and bring more beauty to indoor or outdoor space.
Hydroponic maintenance for growing Money plant
For hydroponics, a branch with air plant roots can be cut from a healthy plant. Prepare a container with clean water, insert the branches and stems into the container, change the water for it every 2 to 3 days, wait for maintenance for a while, it will grow new roots. Dig out the Money plant from the soil, clean up the soil at the root, and then wash the root with water. If there are rotten roots, they need to be cut off, sterilized, and then put into a hydroponic container. Note that after the water becomes dirty, it must be replaced in time.
Change water in time – water must be changed in time for hydroponic maintenance. Water can be changed once every 7 to 15 days after the plant grows new roots. Water must be changed after the water quality becomes turbid.
In hydroponics, water must be changed frequently, usually 2-3 days for clean water. The water can be changed once a week after the new plant roots are grown, and the water needs to be changed every 10 days after the new leaves are grown. Also, you can spray nutrients to the leaves properly, not only to make it grow faster but also to make the leaves greener.
Light – It has a certain capacity of shade resistance and it cannot be placed in a dark place for a long time, nor can it be illuminated by sunlight. And summer must not be exposed to the sun, also had better not put beside the electrical appliances, in the room to pay attention to ventilation. Give it sufficient scattered light, and put it in the place with light during maintenance. The plant growth environment should not be too dark.
If the hydroponic Money plant wants to grow faster, it needs to receive enough scattered light. Then, the maintained environment cannot have strong sunlight or no sunshine for a long time. It is better to let it receive about 10 hours of scattered light every day, only in this way can it grow faster and more robust spray water properly.
Nutrients – When hydroponics system, you need to add the nutrient solution to it, just add a few drops to it every week, or add it when changing water. In the winter season, you can apply it in a small amount.
Make sure to fertilize your Money plant growing in water every 4 to 6 weeks. The amount of fertilizer you use can vary depending on the instructions on fertilizer’s box and the size of the plant. Though, as a rule of thumb, it should never be more than a few drops. It’s always better to under fertilize than over-fertilize when it comes to growing plants in jars of water. You don’t want any algae buildup, which happens as a result of nutrients and sunlight. Money plants are easy to grow hydroponically and often used for aquarium planting. With the roots immersed in water, this method of growing allows the plant to absorb nitrates within the water. Then, this in turn aids in strong plant growth.
Prune the root system – In hydroponics, the roots must be pruned in time. Generally, the old or rotten roots must be pruned off when changing water, so as not to increase the consumption of nutrients. Proper pruning can make nutrients more concentrated so that the Money plant can grow faster. Also, when pruning, be careful not to touch the strong root system. The growth rate of the roots of the water fed Money plant is very fast, so the roots should be pruned frequently. To grow too long or rotten root system, cut off in time, not only will consume more nutrients, but also easy to make the water turbid.
Gardening tips for maintaining Money plant in hydroponics
In case if you miss this: Growing Potatoes Hydroponically.
- Periodically, you must change the water and rinse out the vase, jar, or glass that you have Pothos growing in. Then, this will prevent the water from becoming stagnant and foul.
- If there is any algae buildup, and clean the sides of the container.
- If your tap water is treated with chlorine, be sure to have some prepared in advance to refill containers.
- As your Money plants grow, they may begin to grow rather long. Then, simply cut the tips off and root them in water. Soon, your Money plant will be growing dense and lush in whatever container you use.
Advantages of growing plants hydroponically
- Hydroponics system is a technique for growing plants without soil, using only water, a nutrient solution, and a medium to hold the plants in place.
- Plants growing hydroponically need 20% less space than plants grown in soil. This means you can grow more plants in a defined space or can grow plants in small spaces where it would not be practical to grow soil-based plants.
- The main reason is that hydroponic plants need less space than soil-grown plants and the roots do not have to spread out within soil to search for nutrients and water. Water and nutrients are delivered to the plant roots directly, either intermittently or constantly, depending on the individual hydroponic technique. Plant roots are more compact as a result and can grow closer together.
- Hydroponic plants can grow with just 5 to 10% of the water that’s needed when growing with soil. This is of enormous benefit in areas with scarce water resources and is a major environmental benefit of hydroponic growing.
- Hydroponics system capitalizes on recirculated water, where plants absorb what they need, and run-off is captured and returned to the system. The only water that’s lost is from leaks and then evaporation, but an efficient setup will minimize these if possible.
Requirements for growing hydroponic Money plant
Money plants are one of the easiest plants to propagate. Cut vine from the parent plant and the most common approach is stuffing the entire vine in a glass of water. This is not a good way to root new cuttings and long vines need lots of energy to stay alive.
The main approach to propagating new cutting is to cut the vine into sections. Look closely where the leaf joins the main vine and the bump you see is where new roots will sprout. And using a sharp scissors cut the vine on both sides where the leaf is attached. Then, leave a small section of the main vine attached to the leaf. It’s imperative to get a piece of the main vine where the leaf is attached without it nothing will produce.
The part of the vine that was between the plant leaves will be discarded. Gather cuttings and place them in water. Always harvest as many cuttings as possible and new plants look better when grown from a lot of cuttings (we plant 10-15 cuttings in a 4 inches culture pot and 15-20 cuttings in a 5 inches culture pot). Put cuttings in a glass of water. Replace the water with fresh 1 to 2 times a week and remove any decaying cuttings that aren’t growing. Place in a warm spot away from the hot sun. It usually takes 3 to 4 weeks for new roots to appear. Wait until new plant roots are at least 1/2 inches long before moving to a hydro planter.
Process of growing hydroponic Money plant
- This is one of the easiest plants to start propagating by cuttings. Decide how much you want to cut from your Money plant. Make snips directly below the lowest leaf node and nodes are those tiny brown bumps on the stem that are the key to growing new roots.
- Make more cuttings and you’ll need a stem with at least two leaves to root your plant and you’ll want to remove the leaf that is closest to the stem. So clip vines into more cuttings, leaving at least one node on each and your new roots will form from the node.
- Place Cuttings in Water – Fill a small mason jar or other glass with water and put the cuttings into the water so the cut ends remain submerged. Put the cuttings indoors near a window, but not in direct sunlight. Then, check cuttings every few days and refresh the water every 1 to 2 weeks.
- Wait until cuttings have at least one inch of roots to transplant. This must take about a month. If left in water, your Money plant will continue to grow roots. The longer they grow in water, though, the harder it will be for them to transition to the soil.
- Pick a container with proper drainage holes and fill two-thirds of the way with organic potting mix. Place the cuttings around the pot edges and then add more soil to keep the cuttings in place. Then, add more cuttings to the middle and add soil as needed. Water your new Money plant until water runs out of the bottom of the pot. Place your new Money plant in an area where it will get adequate light.
In case if you are interested in: How to Make Money from Hydroponic Store Business.